As a component of Carver’s STEM education after-school programming, Carver students participate each year in the FIRST LEGO League (FLL) competition organized for elementary and middle school students (ages 9–14).
FLL introduces a scientific and real-world challenge for teams to focus on and research. The robotics part of the competition involves designing and programming LEGO Mindstorms robots to complete tasks to address the challenge. The students work out solutions to the various problems they are given and then meet at the regional tournaments to share their knowledge, compare ideas, and display and run their robots.
- Teams have 5 minutes to present their ideas
- Judges have 5 minutes to ask teams questions
- Students must use the robots they designed to autonomously complete a set of tasks on the challenge mat.
- Core Values: how each team works together
- Robot Design: how teams design robot and demonstrate their programs
- Project: how each team’s innovative solution addresses the current challenge that the teams researched
This crowdfunding campaign is to raise the funds needed to purchase two EV3 Robots ($439 a piece) (LEGO Mindstorm kits) that the teams use to construct their robots.